Last year, I bought this RAK7200 Lora Tracker with the idea to track my bicycle in the neighterhood.

This month, I finally found some time to have this device connected to the cloud and map its position.

This tracker from RAK Wireless, running on a rechargable battery for multiple days, has several sensors aboard and is connected to a Lora network:

RAK7200 LoRa® Tracker | The Things Network

Here you see the payload as presented in the Things Network console:

Potentially, I could even do some alerting based on movement of the device, even if there is no GPS fix (acceleration, magnetometer).

An uplink payload formatter can be found here. I changed it a bit so the latitude, longitude, etc. are decimals, not strings:

The same goes for the battery power.

Showing a generic location in Azure Maps is not that hard, there are many samples available. But I wanted to have the map updated IN REAL-TIME!

The TTN portal now support the Azure IoT Hub natively so I was looking for a way to represent the ingested location in Azure Maps.

Azure Maps tiles live inside the browser. I also needed something like Websockets to update the page representing the map. For this, I wanted to use Azure SignalR Service.

Last but not least, I was looking for a light-weight website because I need to host the pages somewhere.

This is the solution I came up with:

Let's check out how this is done.

Continue reading "Positioning GPS devices on a map using Azure Function, Azure SignalR Service and Azure Maps"


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more
Sander van de Velde | September 9, 2021 at 4:12 pm | Tags: RAK7200 | Categories: Functions, GPS, IoTHub, Lora, Maps, SignalR, The Things Network | URL: https://wp.me/p1LtNl-2tc
Comment        Like