Nadja constructs for its readers a Surrealist approach toward everyday life. It recalls in its first-person narrative and its forty-four photographs a string of synchronicities and coincidences, life occurring in fortuitous patterns. Breton coasts along on invisible economic means, contemptuous of those who "endure their work" (68). "How can that raise them up if the spirit of revolt is not uppermost within them?" he asks Nadja when the two meet. "No," he concludes, "it was not yet these who would be ready to create the Revolution" (64). Surrealism is a refusal of work in favor of art and romance. The rest of us, meanwhile, are paying for treatment. Has talking to a therapist helped? Certainly. The more I open up, the more I learn about where and when and how we might exert agency together as Multitude. And we learn this precisely and quite wonderfully through receptivity to chance -- or so I catch myself thinking, when what I ought to do is read. When at the end of their Breton asks Nadja, "Who are you?" she replies, "without a moment's hesitation, 'I am the soul in limbo'" (71).