Material-UI, yet another tool which I highly expect to be added to my toolbox. To sum it up, it's basically similar to Bootstrap where it has many component blocks to quickly build a web app. But it adhere to a certain design philosophy called Material Design, which I thought to be quite a design spec (positively) when I first read it. This design spec ticks all of my opinion on what makes a good web design such as its main principle to make a pleasant UI/UX on mobile screens. I mean, Bootstrap also does the same thing, but I feel Material Design has a more comprehensive one at that.

That being said, using Material-UI is somewhat different than Bootstrap. They are not that different because I only need to pick up their built-in components as I need it. The difference, I think, when I first read the docs is the way you modify its default styles. At first sight, Material-UI has a pleasant way of making a custom style to override default styles through themes. Apparently, Bootstrap also has themes, but I think they're different as I think of Bootstrap's theme to be optional, and Material-UI's to be mandatory. I could be wrong but I've been blinded by how pleasant Material-UI handles its custom styles. I certainly haven't utilized Bootstrap to its greatest power yet, but I'll have fun with Material-UI for now.

After a few first reads of the documentation, I really couldn't make a head of how I should build an application with Material-UI. Because of said differences compared to Bootstrap, whatever's inside my head are just a bunch of jumbled and unproven theories about Material-UI and how I can build an app using it. That's a thing every time I learn something new, I need to test my hypothesis to clear my head. I could certainly just jump in and create a sandbox directory to play with many new tools, but I've found it more efficient to find a guide in the form of books or video tutorials, just looking at how people "properly" using the tools then I can approve or disprove some of my hypothesis.

And for Material-UI, I'm picking The Net Ninja's tutorial playlist on Material-UI. It's quite a short tutorials (well, Material-UI isn't that big of a tool anyway). The first few videos have sparked a few ideas inside my head already and I'm fascinated with a new way of building a web application using Material-UI. Well for now, let me finish this short tutorial first. Thank you for reading my post and have a pleasant day.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more