cocoa-almond thumbprints

One candy bar that I would never trade away in my Halloween stash was always the Almond Joy, and these Coco-Almond Thumbprints are pretty much the homemade cookie version. Dorie originally concocted these gluten-free sweets to be a Passover dessert, and you can see (and taste) the resemblance to macaroons. They are so easy to make that they can be a year-round anytime treat: just whiz coconut, almonds, sugar, a pinch of salt if you'd like and egg whites in the food processor. Roll that mix into balls, give 'em the thumbprint press and stick 'em in the oven. Once baked they get a generous spoonful of chocolate ganache to fill their bellies.

These were so good...the cookies stayed chewy like a macaroon and the ganache never set completely firm. I would have been happy to childishly hoard them for myself in the back of my closet (which is where I used to hide my Halloween candy pumpkin so my brother wouldn't raid it), but some dude who seems to never go to the office anymore was on to the fact that I was baking cookies, so I was forced to share.

For the recipe, see Dorie's Cookies by Dorie Greenspan. Don't forget to check out the rest of the TWD Blogroll!


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more