English muffins

It's Thanksgiving week and I can't get enough carbs..homemade English Muffins will do quite nicely for breakfast. This is actually the second batch of English muffins I've made in the past week. The first was a different recipe (and slightly different technique) that I had to make for work. This recipe of Dorie's was pretty straight forward. A quick-to-make, sticky dough gets a long chill (I went overnight) and is then shaped into rounds and griddled up freeform. After chilling, the dough wasn't hard to work with and I think my muffins retained a fairly nice shape without using muffin rings. Dorie stops short of cooking them all the way through (the other recipe I made finished them off in the oven for about 10 minutes after griddling them to the desired color). She reasons that toasting the muffins becomes the final step in their cooking. While this is true, my muffins were still a bit doughy inside when I forked them in half to toast them, and I do think a little dense as a result. Still delicious, though, and I will enjoy every last one, but next time I may think about cooking them a little longer, either in the oven at the end, or keeping them on the griddle a few minutes more if they aren't getting too browned.

With two English muffins successes under my belt this week, I'm feeling pretty good about applying for that management position at Thomas'. If you don't have the book Baking with Dorie: Sweet, Salty & Simple by Dorie Greenspan yet, you can test drive this English Muffin recipe here. But get the book and join us as we bake through it every second and fourth Tuesdays! Don't forget to check out the rest of the TWD Blogroll and all the other participation deets over on Tuesdays with Dorie!


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more