I'm back for another update to my $200 savings challenge. I missed last week's post, so to make up for it, this'll be a two for one kind of deal. Not posting last week was a bit disappointing, as it was the first time I've missed a post since I started this blog and my challenge. For whatever reason, I've really been struggling to find the energy and motivation to write recently. Even now, I'm forcing myself to write when I'd rather be doing something less productive like watching YouTube. It's probably a combination of lockdown fatigue and not having anything new to say that has me feeling this way.

Despite not posting about it, I did still commit to my savings challenge last week and I'll cover the results in this post. For those unfamiliar with this challenge, the goal is to try and save an extra $200 a week either through earning more or spending less. Now, I've been in lockdown for the last three months which has been a real dampener on my ability to earn some extra cash. On the other hand, it has also really limited my ability to spend money. The result of that being a string of weeks where I've hit the target through reduced spending alone. The last fortnight being no different.

I saved $50 on lunches in each of the last two weeks - a fairly easy thing to do during lockdown when you're not at the office and far removed for the temptation of cafes and food courts. Dinners on the other hand were a mixed bag. I almost got through week 33 without getting any takeaway. Unfortunately, I caved at the last moment and ended up getting some fairly lacklustre Lebanese food. The following week went better with all meals for the week being homecooked - a saving of $50.

My new coffee machine continued to get a workout over the last two weeks. In fact, between my wife and I, out of the 28 coffees we had over the fortnight, only two were from a café, the rest were all made at home. Saving me $47.6 in week 33 and $40.8 in week 34. It still boggles my mind just how much we used to spend on coffee. We're talking about a couple of grand in savings from coffee alone if we stick with the home brew over the course of a year.

Rounding things off, we have the savings from the rent reduction we scored earlier in the year and the lockdown specific savings on train fares and gym membership. That's savings of $50, $47 and $17 respectively for both weeks.

Week 33 Week 34
Extra Earnings: $0 $0
Reduced Spending: $211.6 $254.8
Total Savings: $211.6 $254.8
Result: $11.6 over the target $54.8 over the target

And there we have it, a positive result for both weeks. Hopefully, I'll be back in a writing mood next week, but if not don't worry, I'll definitely still be persisting with the challenge.

Until next time.

-Trevvie

If you liked this post, consider checking out more from the blog here:


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more