mwcli is a golang CLI tool that I have been working on over the past year to replace the mediawiki-docker-dev development environment that I accidently created a few years back (among other things). I didn't start the CLI, but I did this mediawiki-docker-dev like functionality.

As some point through the development journey it became clear that one of the ways to set the new and old environments apart would be through some rigorous CI and testing.

This started with CI running on a Qemu node as part of the shared Wikimedia Jenkins CI infrastructure that is hooked up to Gerrit, where the code was being developed. This ended up being quite slow, and involved lots of manual steps.

A next iteration saw the majority of development take place in my own fork on Github, making use of Github Actions. Changes would then be copied over to Gerrit for final review once CI tests had run.

And finally the repository moved to the new Wikimedia GiLlab instance (work in progress), where I could make use of GitLab Runners powered by a machine in Wikimedia Cloud VPS.

Screenshot of GitLab pipelines in action for the mwcli project

Read more of this post

addshore | November 1, 2021 at 10:10 pm | Tags: docker, gitlab, golang, mwcli, Wikimedia | Categories: Tech | URL: https://wp.me/p5ZEV0-23u
Comment