Those of you who know the subject matter of Sofie Laguna's latest novel, Infinite splendours, will not be surprised to hear that it drew a mixed reaction from my reading group, particularly coming on the heels of recent reads like Nardi Simpson's Song of the crocodile (my review) and Douglas Stuart's Shuggie Bain (my review). However, if we all agreed on one thing, it was that Laguna's writing is splendid.

Some of you though, particularly non-Australians, will not know what it's about, so let's get that out of the way first. The back cover blurb starts this way:

Lawrence Loman is a bright, caring, curious boy with a gift for painting. He lives at home with his mother and younger brother, and the future is laid out before him, full of promise. But when he is ten, an experience of betrayal takes it all away, and Lawrence is left to deal with the devastating aftermath.

It's not a spoiler to say that this betrayal involves sexual abuse.

Infinite splendours, like Laguna's previous book, The choke (my review), is set in the rural past. In this case, we are in the Grampians, west of Melbourne, and the novel starts in 1953 when Lawrence is 10. As with The choke, my question is, why set the story in the past? And my answer - though I don't know Laguna's - is the same: it's set at a time when awareness of abuse and the resultant trauma were essentially non-existent. This enables Laguna to explore her theme unencumbered.

The novel is told chronologically in three parts. The first ends with the abuse, and the second takes Lawrence through to another crisis in his late twenties, with the third picking him up, a couple of decades later, in 1994. By this time, Lawrence is living alone in the isolated family home. The novel is told first person, so we spend the whole time in Lawrence's head, seeing only his perspective. It's intense and introspective, but not unleavened. There are moments of calm and beauty.

One part engaged, another observing. Two selves. (p. 411)

Still, it's a tough story, as we watch this lovely, sensitive boy, whom we've come to love, decline. He stutters. He gives up his interests, including the art in which he'd shown such talent, and he keeps to himself. His body is a source of mental and physical anguish. From the moment of the abuse, he's a divided person:

I felt myself dividing; there were two selves to choose from. One inside, one outside. (p. 152/153)

There are moments when he may have been helped. Soon after the abuse, his younger brother Paul asks "what did he do to you Lawrence" - but Lawrence won't confide. At the beginning of part 2, the family's kind neighbour, Mrs Barry, tells his mother that he reminds her of the "men back from the war", but of course PTSD was not properly recognised nor treated back then.

After his mother dies when he is 26 years old, his brother leaves home, and a crisis occurs at his workplace. At this point, Lawrence's self-isolation is complete. He does, however, have points of solace. His beloved mountain Wallis, a fictional mountain in the Grampians which features in the story from the beginning, provides moments of peace, hope and transcendence; a bunker on the property, in which he hides in a game of hide-and-seek at the novel's opening, is a place he goes to for safety; and his art, to which he returns after leaving his job, provides occupation and self-expression:

This was the world for me; there was Wallis above and the bunker below, and here was I, between them with my tray of colours. (p. 267)

Lawrence also has an art book, Letters from the masters, that his uncle had given him during his "grooming". This book becomes his "bible" - for art and life - and he returns to it again and again. He studies the paintings, and he ponders the artists' words. Indeed, the novel's title comes from Master Millet who wrote "I see far more in the countryside than charm, I see infinite splendours". And so does Lawrence, particularly in his beloved Wallis. It is while standing on Wallis, before the events unfold, that he has his first intimations of "something else, greater, that was infinite–the earth's invisible self. Wallis whispered, See this".

It is in this context that Lawrence's art becomes his life's work. He describes one of his landscapes as "like a living thing ... a soul contained within an object", and sees his paintings as his family. He is as settled as he can be. But, change is inevitable, and the time comes when Mrs Barry's long-empty house across the yard is occupied again. It discombobulates Lawrence:

I painted into the sun, layers of yellow into yellow. Immersion in light. Sun across my knees, sun in the sky, sun on my canvas. Could I not keep going, contained forever within this one emerging world of light? Must I inhabit another?

It seemed I must ... Everything changes.

The new occupants are a single-parent family like his own had been, this one, though, with a mother, teen daughter, and, yes, a 10-year-old boy. The tension builds as we readers watch and desperately hope that Lawrence will not repeat history, that he will get his two selves back in sync in the best way.

I said at the beginning that my reading group praised Laguna's writing. Her descriptions of the landscape are exquisite and her delineation of character, even minor ones, is so very good. Her warmth and empathy are palpable. I also love her ability to change pace and rhythm to evoke different emotions. However, several of us did feel it became repetitive. Further, although I was fully engaged in Lawrence's story, and was never going to give up on him or the book, there were times that I felt overwhelmed with the multitude of motifs. As well as those I've mentioned, like Wallis and the bunker, there's Robinson Crusoe, Madame Butterfly, a strawman/scarecrow, birds and the bird clock, rocking and a rocking chair, colours, and more. While none of these were gratuitous, they did sometimes become distracting, as I tried to identify whether they were adding anything critical to what I already knew and felt.

As I read this novel, with a frequent sense of foreboding, I was buoyed by my memory of Laguna's statement that hope is important. Without giving anything away, let's just say that, here, the hope felt a bit thin, albeit there is a real transcendence in the ending. For that I was truly grateful.

As for my reading group? Well, there's been a request for books with a lighter touch next year, which is fine by me, as long as they have meat too!

Challenge logo

Sofie Laguna
Infinite splendours
Sydney: Allen & Unwin, 2020
435pp.
ISBN: 9781760876272