Taking an early morning flight for work is always difficult. I crib about the lack of sleep, the serpentine queues at Airport security and then the long work day ahead. But tell me to drive down early morning for something personal, I will happily do it. Even no sleep is also ok with me.

With barely 3 hours of sleep, I woke up quite fresh to visit family at our native for this years Ganpati festival. I quickly got ready & hit the road. The freshness of mornings in Konkan always excites me. I can roll down the car window, switch off the AC and feel the fresh air. The same air that my ancestors must have breathed many generations ago, the same path that they must have taken from Mumbai. A sense of dejavu hits me, always.

I drove almost non-stop, just 2 loo breaks on the way. First stop was near Palaspe at the HPCL Petrol Pump where in the past we used to tank up. Here, the washrooms are clean. I did not have a rupee coin, only freshly minted 500 Rs notes which I had collected from the ATM. I reluctantly walked passed the lady collecting the money. She also did not stop me. I made a promise to myself, next time I will pay her 2 rs or even more. It was embarrassing though for me for not having paid her.

Earlier we used to have a quick breakfast at Roti Shoti (RS), just beside the Pump. Now, unfortunately RS has shut down permanently, one due to the prolonged lockdown and two, I guess, due to the long flyover built just in front of it, so many motorists now just bypass RS as well as the Petrol Pump.

My second loo break, was just before I reached home. I could not fight my body anymore but I also did not have the guts to just stop by the side of the main road and relieve myself. I took a short detour, onto a small desolate road & then stopped the car as soon as I noticed that there was no one around-no cars, no bikes, no people. Dignity saved- mine as well as of others!!

This quick Two and Half hours drive later, I reached at our native just in time for Breakfast. A large serving of Upma and a strong cup of coffee followed. I prayed to the Lord Ganpati , who was basking in the soft lights of Diyas and fragrance of Agarbattis. Then there was the typical family banter, pulling each others legs, joking about stuff. Fresh fish was bought for the dinner( yes, in our native, folks eat fish after the evening aarti. Chicken or Mutton is not eaten during this Ganesh Festival. Why this logic, I guess no one knows but everybody has some explaination). I could hear the birds chirping, saw the stray cats wanting to take a bite at the raw fish and our uncles trying to shoo them away with a large stick.

Later we all went to the famous 'Mayur Bakery' in Alibaug. We grabbed some local Pastries and Pattices. There is always someone in the family who doesnt love Upma for breakfast. We had two in my car along with me. They hogged on the Pastries and Pattices, even we all joined in the party.

After a quick lunch at Home, it was time for a short afternoon nap. Others played Monopoly in the adjacent room & my sleep was disturbed by their shouting as they enjoyed the Boardgame together. I did not mind the noise, it was a happy surrounding.

We went to the Old Mandwa Jetty in the evening. We were lucky to see the Mumbai Skyline in the distance, there was no smog at all. I attended an office call from there, while at the same time watching other folks who were coming to the beach for the Ganesh Visarjan. A sudden burst of rain made us all dash to the safety of our Car. All slightly drenched, we thought a piping hot vada pav would be a good idea but we ran out of luck as our local shop was out of stock. No worries, we had good home cooked dinner awaiting us. For the non-vegetarians, fresh fried fish with fish curry and Rice. For me, white chana usal, dal, chapatis and rice. Super yummy!!

The evening Aarti was, as always, full of josh. The young folks, shouting at the top of their voices, the elders chanting the aarti with 'taal' in hand. I just clapped all along, I never made an attempt to learn by rote any aarti. Like always, I just stood there soaking in that moment, reminding myself of the fun we had during our childhood during this festival and even now. It was like a movie playing in flashback.

The next morning, I had a round of freshly made Dosas with coconut chutney. Had I not said no, I am sure my servings would not have stopped. I noticed our neighbour bring freshly plucked 'Jasvanda' (Hibiscus) flowers from his garden for our Bappa. This is something which you would not experience in Cities. Ganesh festival in the villages, is still celebrated as one big festival.

PC : Yours truly. and thats not Beer that you see and its definitely not 'The Lord of All Things'.

Enjoy your weekend.

PS: Book that I am reading now - 'Shoe Dog' by Phil Knight.