The above illustrates perfectly the difference between the thinking of a dog and that of a human being. The animal's thoughts are simple and focused in each moment.

The humans thoughts are invariably scattered, constantly jumping from one thing to another. Along with many different thoughts come an array of emotions. Happiness, fear, anxiety, worry - all the things that feed the pesky little Chattering Monkeys that inhabit our minds.

'Tiny' belongs to my nephew. At this early stage in Tiny's development he was all over the place - motivated primarily by food and play. With development Tiny has learned to focus....and again be present in the moment and thus a loving companion.

By the way, the Chattering Monkeys are the pesky little demons that fill our heads with reasons why we should not, and cannot do something! They are the Yin to our Yang......

Maybe as you begin to read this blog, they are shouting out, 'You don't have time for this, and it's all nonsense anyway........:)

What I say is IGNORE the monkeys and focus on what it is that you choose to do. Don't allow them to sidetrack you.

This is dear little Maggie...totally loyal, loving and happy to be living in each and every moment. All she needs and wants is reciprocated love.

This is Bumble. Bumble was much like the dog in my first illustration. Loyal, loving and such a wonderful companion. When I think of Bumble....the word 'Trust' comes to mind.

Like all animals, her beautiful mind wasn't filled with worries about the news, or how much money she had, or how successful she might be. She was focused on her next meal...and being with the people she loved and trusted.

It's interesting that the word 'Trust' keeps coming up when I refer to dogs.

How sad it is that with so many of our human kind...it is often the word 'mistrust and doubt' that comes to mind. I wonder if that has to do with our not being present in the same way that animals are? If we are not present and our minds are constantly scattered - is it any wonder that our trustworthiness might be questioned?

This is dear little Phoebe. Phoebe belonged to a very good. friend. Sadly they are now both dead but the joy they brought to one another was immense. I remember very well when Phoebe was at the end of her life, she continued to show such love, loyalty and affection to Jose.

I have always loved animals - in many ways preferring their company to humans....and once again it all comes down to the 'trust' word. In their uncomplicated and loving way they give and teach us so much.

I met Jessie in Brussels about fourteen years ago. I was dog, cat and chicken sitting for an artist friend and at the same time working in her studio every day. It was a blissful summer.

When my friend Suzy left she warned me that Jessie most likely wouldn't make it and that the vet was on alert in the event of severe illness or her death.

In the evenings Jessie would sit with me as I watched tv or read a book....she always sat with her back to me....just like in this sketch. I was there for the summer, and by the time Suzy returned home Jessie and I had completely bonded and as Suzy said she looked ten years younger. Jessie lived for another six months.....I will always remember her with great affection.

In this commissioned painting, we can see the devotion and calm emanating between this man and his dog.

It demonstrates a moment of pure love, trust and calm.

"Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." Dean Koontz.

All these images are watercolours. Over the years I have painted/sketched more dogs and cats than I can possibly remember. I love every one of them:)