baby buckwheat bars

The buckwheat flour and chocolate combo is a wonderful one, so I'm excited Baby Buckwheat Bars have finally made center stage. These baby bars are really more like bite-sized cake squares than cookies. Since I don't need 100 bars of anything, I made just a third of the recipe and baked it in a loaf pan. It was a small amount, so I made it by hand, blatantly ignoring Dorie's headnote warning that the texture depends on using a stand mixer. I think the baby batch of baby bars came out just fine, but i can see the larger batch being difficult to hand whip properly. I enjoyed the grainy texture and earthy flavor of these GF bars, and the little bits of chocolate throughout. Dorie gives a couple of optional embellishments to this recipe...one is a nip of rum in the batter. I'm all out of rum, but I subbed nocino walnut liqueur. The other is a ganache glaze, and obviously I opted for that, too (I did skip the egg wash on top before baking). No regrets on either.

For the recipe, see Dorie's Cookies by Dorie Greenspan. Don't forget to check out the rest of the TWD Blogroll!


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more