Running PyImageSearch over the past eight years has been one of the most tremendous, gratifying, and rewarding experiences of my life.

Every day I wake up grateful that I can help so many people, just like you, learn computer vision and deep learning.

But...I also have some regrets and failures as well.

In today's email I'm going to get ultra-personal with you and share some details of where I've failed along the way...and how I plan on right my wrongs to improve PyImageSearch, and make it even easier for you to learn computer vision.
 

Where I failed.

When people come to PyImageSearch they tend to think of me, "Adrian Rosebrock".

I mean, how could they not?

All the blog posts, tutorials, books, and courses on PyImageSearch have my name on it. So do all the emails that we send out.

But what people don't realize is that PyImageSearch is more than just me — there's a small team working behind the scenes to make sure brand new content is published every Monday morning at 10AM EST, and that new, paid courses are constantly coming down the pipeline.

Over the past eight years running PyImageSearch I've authored 500+ tutorials, 4 books (each with multiple volumes and editions), and 2 courses. I couldn't have done it without my team.

And to that end, where I've failed along the way is turning PyImageSearch into more than just "Adrian Rosebrock"...because it already *is* so much more than me now.

I'm in the process of fixing that.
 

Making PyImageSearch more than just me.

Running PyImageSearch has given me the incredible opportunity of meeting some of the best artificial intelligence instructors and educators in the world.

Seriously.

I look at people like Murtaza Hassan, Davis King, Katherine Scott, Jermey Cohen, Satya Mallick, Amita Kapoor, Rachel Thomas, and Jeremy Howard...in their own respective niches these educators are far more knowledgeable than I am.

And when I sat and reflected on the past few years I realized my biggest regret is not empowering these authors and educators to share their knowledge with you, the PyImageSearch reader, by inviting them to publish their tutorials and videos on the PyImageSearch blog.

I have to offer two apologies:
  • The first apology is for my fellow AI educators. I should have created a plan/process that allows educators other than myself to share their knowledge on PyImageSearch. While I didn't think to do so back then, I now realize it was selfish of me not to realize it earlier.
  • The second apology is to you, the reader. You come to PyImageSearch because you know this is where you can find the highest quality online computer vision/deep learning education. By not having other AI educators share their knowledge, I have deprived you of more education opportunities.
Both of these are my fault and I own them completely.
 

And to be totally candid...

I am quite embarrassed to admit that for many years I have been selfish in my thinking.

For years I (incorrectly) thought that readers came to PyImageSearch because they wanted to hear from me personally, and that my way of teaching was the only way they could learn.

I've come to realize that the assumption I made is wrong — and it's embarrassing to admit that I thought that way.

Just like you, people in AI come from all walks of life. They've all had different experiences:
  • Some come from middle class families in prosperous countries, with their college education all but paid for
  • Many had to pay for school out of pocket, racking up serious debt
  • Others were in poverty growing up, barely able to survive, let alone afford to study in a classroom or online
  • And even others faced further discrimination and adversity along the way
It's totally naive of me to think that the way I teach is what is best for you when there may be another AI instructor that has similar life experiences as your own, and therefore you would relate to better than me.
 

Next week: A brand new course, "Visual Sensor Fusion for Autonomous Cars".

Image

Next Tuesday we'll be releasing a brand new course in PyImageSearch University, Visual Sensor Fusion for Autonomous Cars.

I'll be back tomorrow to share more details on the course, but what's most important for you, the reader, is that this is the first course in PyImageSearch University that I'm not teaching personally.

Instead, this course is taught by self-driving car expert, Jeremy Cohen, who, for the record, is much more knowledgeable about self-driving cars than I am.

The course is up to the same PyImageSearch standard that you know and love, and it's been personally vetted by me and my team. Jeremy, myself, and the rest of the PyImageSearch team are here to help you succeed in learning computer vision.
 

I'm on a mission. Will you join me?

I'm on a mission this year to make PyImageSearch more than just the "Adrian show".

Here's what the mission entails:
  • It's about fostering community and bringing people together to learn computer vision and deep learning
  • It's about bringing in expert authors and educators other than myself
  • It's about diversity and inclusion — I'm making a special point to represent authors and educators from various backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, and socioeconomic backgrounds
And rest assured, we're never going to compromise quality. You came to PyImageSearch for a computer vision and deep learning education, and you will get it…all while empowering diversity along the way.

Will you join me in this next phase of PyImageSearch?

I need your help to make it a success, because without you, the reader, all of this is for nothing.

Please help me make PyImageSearch not only the best online site to learn computer vision, but also the most diverse and inclusive.

And from the bottom of my heart, thank you for making PyImageSearch possible. I am indebted to you for this opportunity.

Adrian Rosebrock
Chief PyImageSearcher


P.S. Interested in authoring content for PyImageSearch, or helping us create online courses?

If so, we're looking to build out a diverse team of authors and educators capable of producing 2-4 new tutorials every month. If that sounds like you, reply to this email and provide examples of tutorials you've authored or video courses you've created.

While I can't guarantee a personal response from me, I'll ensure my team reviews your submission to see if you are a good fit for the AI educator program we're building.