This evening I pulled into the town of Bajo Roca after a very rough day of driving brought on by my worsening crises back at home. Oh yeah, my boss, oops, I meant former boss called me and told me not to come back to work. No shit, I wasn't planning on coming back anyway.

I pulled into the gas station to fill up and grab some munchies but when I walked into the convenience store there was quite a scene going on. Some lady was arguing with the clerk and hostilities had escalated to the point where she was screaming obscenities and insults. When the clerk told her to leave, she screamed, "KISS MY BLACK ASS!" before storming out of the store. That did nothing to soothe my badly rattled nerves.

When it was my turn to pay for the items, it seemed it would become my turn to become hostile. The clerk picked up the carton of chocolate milk for scanning when he paused before telling me, "This is out of date."

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"This chocolate milk, out of date."

"THEN WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU SELLING IT THEN!" I screamed at the clerk before I too stormed out of the store. This was not me at all. I'm usually calm, assertive, restrained. This was not me at all. I was just stressed from losing my job and my wife filing for divorce. Why did I let a pint of expired chocolate milk push me over the edge? But I did.

I got in my car and drove past the wretched convenience store while sounding my horn with my middle finger raised outside the window and aimed at the clerk. Fuck him for ruining my day by stocking a pint of spoiled chocolate milk. I felt absolutely horrible from the way I acted in there.

I felt exhausted from my long, stressful day and started looking for a cheap motel. I found a rather run-down looking place I won't name here, but my deciding to spend the night at this place proved to be a mistake.

The room looked terrible with garbage still on the floor and the bed filthy and unmade. The air conditioner was broken, the toilet kept overflowing and the water from the sink was disgusting. How this motel was allowed to stay in business despite all the health hazards was beyond me.

I took the sheets off the bed and tried to sleep but the mattress was very uncomfortable with its rusty springs offering no support. Just as I was about to drift off to sleep I heard gunfire outside along with screeching tires. That was all I could take.

I attempted to check out of the motel but was told I would still be charged for the night. My complaints went unheard and I ended up yelling "Fuck you!" to the desk attendant. How nice of him to return the compliment with the word "Asshole". I angrily left and returned to the road, swearing never again to return to Bajo Roca. I later found a roadside park and stopped there for the rest of the night, angry with myself for not choosing this option in the first place. I slept better in my car, way better than that shitty motel.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more