To myself...

In my day job, I often hear these two words and even their verb forms being used interchangeably with my interactions among my colleagues.

Usually, I hear these words in hiring activities.

"I have to evaluate a candidate at 4pm"
"I have to assess a candidate at 4pm"

Which one do you think is appropriate to use in this context?

More often, if you're hiring people to join your team, the right statement is the former.

Why?

When you use the word evaluate, it means that we are judging something against a standard. It's usually a pass or fail scenario with no ongoing feedback. It has a closure, and hence one-off.

On one hand, when you use the word assess, it's about nurturing something. It provides constructive feedback that is ongoing. It's valuable for something being under assessment.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more