In my college days, I was a lean, lanky fellow who hardly talked to any girls. Cuss words were never a part of my vocabulary, I never got into any fist-fights with anyone. I was never late in submitting any assignments to Professors ,forget assignments, I was never late in reaching college on time for the fear of being reprimanded by the Professors. I hardly watched any movies in Theaters. I was more interested in playing Cricket and Football with Friends and I focused on getting good marks in my examinations. Basically speaking, it was an uneventful life and I was an average Joe.

Back in August 2001, me and my best friend heard of a movie called 'Dil Chahta Hai' which had released in Theaters. It was a must watch, we were told. Those days there were no Cineplexes and we decided to go to 'Malhar Talkies' in Thane to watch the movie. But our fears came true when we saw huge crowds outside the Talkies and the show was sold out. Somehow we were determined that we watch the movie, no matter what. Thats when we noticed a guy selling tickets in 'black' (these days you dont see that guy, who would sell tickets in black silently muttering ' Ek Ka Do, Ek Ka Do' ) . We signaled to him, that guy took us to the back side of the building ( you must have guessed I was shit scared by then), he quoted his price for 2 tickets which was exorbitantly high. We did not think twice, paid the money and dashed towards the Theater to watch 'Dil Chahta Hai'.

Dil Chahta Hai has remained etched in our memories for the last 20 years. It was a different genre of a movie from what we had been watching in the 90's. There was no Karishma Kapoor- Govinda type storyline, no funny songs, the movie felt as if we were watching a story which happens in real life. Three Best Friends, their struggles, their victories and their love lives. There is a scene in the movie where the 3 guys are sitting atop a Fort wall and watching a boat sailing in the distant Sea. Aakash (played by Aamir Khan) says " You know what, hume har saal kam se kam ek hafte ke liye Goa aana chahiye' . To this Sid responds(played by Akshaye Khanna) " Jaante ho, hum teeno wo Jahaaj ki tarah hai, jo aaj nahi toh kal apni manzilo ko dhundte hua niklenge. Aur ho sakta hai, ki hamari manjile alag alag ho... " he continues " kabhi socha hai ki shayad har saal yaha aana toh ek taraf, dus saal mein ek baar bhi milna mushkil ho . To this, Akaash replies "Aisa kuch Nahi Hoga Sid...."

But aise hi hua, atleast in our lives with my two best friends. We went on with our lives, got jobs, got married. One of us has been staying in NL for the past 8 years. Barring a few days every year when we all meet up like one big family, our Goa trips every year have shrunk to a trickle. Maybe that's just life playing with its characters, we are just pawns on a chessboard. Thankfully, all is not gloom and doom as it sounds. Over the last 30 years or so, our friendship has grown stronger and we remain in touch almost on a daily basis, sharing almost everything with each other. Friendship is the only bond which has added a lot of security and calmness in our otherwise chaotic work lives, we would have not known hamara dil kya chahta hai!!

Before I wrap up, a few words about this Blog pic. It is me with my 2 best friends. It was clicked not at Chapora Fort, as in the movie but at Bankot Fort near Harishareshwar.

Ohh, and dont forget to see the Tags. Tell me how you liked that idea..

Enjoy your weekend!!

P.S. : This blog onwards, I will mention the book I am reading. This week it has been "Buffet: The making of an American Capitalist". by Roger Lowenstein. Hopefully, this might inspire you to read as well and not just spend time binge watching ..