Image by Linda Richardson

Image by Linda Richardson

For January 2nd in my  Anthology from Canterbury PressWaiting on the Word, I have chosen to read The Bird in the Tree by Ruth Pitter. On New Year's Eve we considered Hardy's almost reluctant glimpse of transfiguration 'when Frost was spectre-grey, and 'shrunken hard and dry', and Hardy's heart, bleak as the world through which he moves, nevertheless hears for a moment the 'ecstatic sound' of his darkling thrush. And even though he wanted to end his poem with the word 'unaware', something of the transcended has 'trembled through' his poem. Today's poem, also about hearing a bird in a tree, also addresses the question of how the transcendent might for 'a moment of time' 'tremble through' into the immanent.

You can hear me read this poem by clicking on the title or the play button. The image above was created by Linda Richardson and is one of my favourites from the beautiful book of responses she made to Waiting on the Word, it is so full of life, movement and energy. Linda Writes:

A few years ago I was walking up the hill behind our house. I had an extraordinary experience of feeling myself dissolve into the land around me, of being one with the trees, the insects below the earth and the sky above me. When I got home I attempted to paint the experience and reading Ruth Pitter's poem brought it back to my mind.

Throughout this Advent, Malcolm has offered us poems that invite us to 'see'. We believe we know what a bird is like, what a tree is like, we have heard the Christmas stories so often that we think we know them, but if we give ourselves time to 'see' anew, we will be able to glimpse eternity shining all around us and within us. We can find God manifest in the finite and the infinite, in time and eternity. In the Gospel of Thomas Jesus says, 'split the wood, and I am there. Turn over the stone and there you will find me.'

You can find the words, and a short reflective essay on this poem in Waiting on the Word, which is now also available on Kindle
3988062-the-bird-in-the-tree.mp3
The Bird in the Tree   Ruth Pitter

 

The tree, and its haunting bird,

Are the loves of my heart;

But where is the word, the word,

Oh where is the art,

To say, or even to see,

For a moment of time,

What the Tree and the Bird must be

In the true sublime?

They shine, listening to the soul,

And the soul replies;

But the inner love is not whole,

and the moment dies.

Oh give me before I die

The grace to see

With eternal, ultimate eye,

The Bird and the Tree.

The song in the living Green,

The Tree and the Bird –

Oh have they ever been seen,

Ever been heard?

If you would like to encourage and support this blog, you might like, on occasion, (not every time of course!) to pop in and buy me a cup of coffee. Clicking on this banner will take you to a page where you can do so, if you wish. But please do not feel any obligation!

Buy Me A Coffee