As we come into the last week of October, you're likely to see more writers and creative sorts getting anxious, sitting down to plan, organising schedules and making statements like "I can do 50k words this month, can't I?".

That's because it's NaNoWriMo in November, just 5 short days away. And in November many writers attempt to write 50,000 words over the course of the month.
This usually takes the form of a novel, hence the frantic planning (or laid pack pantsing if that's your style), but it can be achieved through non-novel means.

I normally take part because even if it's not a novel I'm writing, I'm encouraged to write something. I've done a series of essays, flash fiction pieces, worked on my thesis....

Whatever it is, I'm proud that most of the time I've written something that month, even if it's not the full 50k. And this brings me to the point of telling you all about NaNoWriMo.

Any progress is good progress.

If you woke up today and wrote one word that's still one word closer to your goal, to getting that story or poem out there. Who cares if you don't make it all the way to the 50k? You're making progress and that's something to be proud of.

So, join your local NaNoWriMo group, take part, enjoy the writing and sprints and most importantly have fun.

Hey! Tara here and thanks for checking out my blog. I update every Tuesday with posts about studying tips, advice and talk about productivity and organisation too. If you want to keep up to date with my latest blog posts I'd love it if you subscribed to this blog.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more